Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Happy New Year! See you 2010!

Tomorrow morning we are leaving for Tampa to go visit Mikey's sister, Jenine and her husband, Phil.  We will ring in the new year with them!  (I don't think I've seen midnight since this summer, so who knows if I will actually be awake!)

I'm dreading another long drive, since we just drove to Memphis and then to Austin, but hopefully Grady will be on his best behavior and relax.  I've packed the goldfish crackers, vanilla wafers, bananas, toys, and of course the dvd player.  I read somewhere that when you are traveling with a baby to pack lots of snacks they can graze on.  Good thing Grady likes to eat!

Speaking of eating, today we met Mikey and a couple of his coworkers for lunch at a local restaraunt.  I ordered a typical meal for Grady, grilled cheese... but instead of french fries (which he doesn't really care for), I got baked apples.  This boy LOVES fruit and would live off of it if I would let him, so I knew he'd love the apples.  He was shoveling them in by the handfulls, getting cinnamon and sauce all over his face, especially his cheeks.  Then I noticed his face was beet red and looked like it had broken out into a rash.  I said to Mikey, I think he is having an allergic reaction!  Now, I know I can be a bit dramatic when it comes to health related issues.  I will admit that.  Afterall, Grady had been to the doctor, including the ER, about 4 times before he was a month old.  Call me paranoid, but this time, it was apparent.  His cheeks were splotchy and his face was warm.  But his demeanor hadn't changed and he wasn't having any difficulty breathing, so I knew it was nothing to rush to ER over.  (See, I have improved a little!).  We cleaned him up and I called the doctor as soon as we left.  Of course they were closed for lunch, so I called the next best hypochondriac I know, Katie.  She conveniently googled it for me as I drove home, and as it turns out, cinnamon is a spice that many babies are either allergic to, or it just irritates their skin (contact dermititis). He did not have any other symptoms, so I think it may just irritate his skin.  Needless to say, we will not be eating anymore cinnamon!  I would have been a mean mommy and taken a picture, but I did not have my camera. 

I really don't have any good pictures to post, but everyone loves a blog with pictures, so here are two from yesterday... just playing around.

Of course if Grady can find a way to use something the wrong way, he will!  He is definitely ALL BOY!




Getting closer to grab the camera....



I'll post when we get home on Sunday (or it might have to wait until Monday).  I hope everyone has a great New Year's Eve and an even better start to the new year! 

5 comments:

aydenandru said...

That's crazy!! I have never heard of that. Hopefully once he's out of his toddler stage, he'll be able to play around with that delicious spice again!

Happy New Year, MG!!!!

nancygrayce said...

Well you should have called your surrogate mother! Although I had no idea that cinnamon would do that! :) Bless his little heart! Have fun and take lots of pics!

Cathy said...

Bless his widdle heart!!! Love you all..have fun...Happy 2010!!!!!

Katie and Beau said...

Glad we got it figured out and that nothing serious resulted! You know you can always count on me to worry with you!

Have fun on your trip and be careful. Happy New Year!

P.S. I think you should let Grady stay up til midnight :)

Samantha said...

Poor thing! I've never heard of that! I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious! Drive carefully and Happy New Year!! Love ya!