Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sweets For My Sweets

This year, for Grady's birthday, I wanted to go all out.  I know that comes a shock to most of you... that I wanted to "bling it up"... :).  But I mean, you only turn one once!  Of course you only turn any age once, but that's beside the point.  I started thinking of a theme months in advance, but y'all know I don't really do "themes".  I hate Disney and cartoons, and I am not a big fan of anything you can buy in a kit and decorate your whole party with.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just not me.  So in all this thinking, I finally decided we would do a broader theme (using that word loosely) and just decorate with primary colors and polka dots.  The idea stemmed from this:



So, then I decided we would do a candy station, a dum dum tree, a round ornament mobile, balloons, and streamers.  I also found a cake that I could not live without.  Then I found out how much it cost and Mikey said either I live without the cake or I live without him.  After MUCH deliberation, I decided I better not buy that cake. So, Betty Crocker over here decides to "recreate" this cake.  Here's where you imagine a LOOOONG sigh....

One of my student's moms let me borrow her cake pans, leveling tool, spreaders, and icing bags.  So, all I had to buy were the ingredient and a few other things.  Needless to say, what I saved in money, I made up for in time!!!

Here's the beginning...



Noticing the mess, Grady says... "Mom, seriously???"


"Welll, ok... keep whipping it up please"...




Take One: (Cake Split!)




"Ok, Mom, hit up the Wal Mart please"



Take Two:



It's Coming Along!




TADA!!!!




Ok, so I know it's a little lopsided, but for my first try, I say not bad!

Can't wait to see Grady dig in tomorrow!  The top tier is all his!  More pics to come tomorrow after the party! 

11 comments:

Katie and Beau said...

I love it, even if it is a little housewife of new jersey-ish!

You did a great job, love the "theme" idea. Great idea for his first.

P.S. Love the new stove and dishwasher! First time I've seen them!

Katie and Beau said...

I said the word "love" a lot in that comment!

p.s. love y'all!

Rob and Macey said...

The cake looks so great! I think it's awesome you even attempted to do something like that! I loved your theme idea, too. I have to warn you though, at some point Grady is going to discover Disney!:)

aydenandru said...

Yay MG! You did such a great job on the cake. I would've given up after it broke into pieces but GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!
And Happy bday little man

Samantha said...

The cake looks great! - I wish I could be there to eat it!

and... I'm just glad I'm not the only one that makes a big mess when baking! :) LOVE YA!

Christy said...

Super job! I bet it tastes delicious! You Hatcher girls are great cooks. Maybe for his next birthday you can have moving parts like those cakes on the Food Network Challenge. You're almost there!
Can't wait for party pics!

The White Family said...

Christy, don't push it! If it's a moving cake, it's an accident. :)

nancygrayce said...

I love everything you did, but you could have clued me in on the hate anything Disney like before I got him all disney stuff!

I wish I could have been there! Instead, I spent 1/2 of the day in the emergency room with mama and the rest of the day in the hospital room with her.

The Hatcher's said...

Looks like a complicated venture! How did it taste? I can't wait to see a pic. of Grady eating it.

Mikey said...

You did great! Everything was so nice and such a success! The cake looked and tasted great! Thank you for all your hard work!

Cathy said...

That Mikey is so sweet!! The cake was beautiful!! You are SUPER-MOMMY!!