Thursday, January 15, 2009

Shut That Baby Up!!!!

It's been several days, so let me update y'all on what's new with little Grady. He's not the same baby we got used to for the first couple of weeks! Once he got used to the world, he replaced sleeping all the time with crying! Mikey and I were in for a rude awakening! We were used to this precious sleeping angel all the time who only cried when he was hungry or had a dirty diaper. I thought, we've got it MADE! NOT!!!

Having a baby is the best thing ever, but for all those people who act like it's bliss 24/7, they are either lying or have a saint baby.... Because when you're up at 4 am after only sleeping a few hours and your bouncing, bouncing, bouncing, shushing, shushing, shushing, and swaying, swaying, swaying all around the house, the thought crosses your mind WHAT HAVE I DONE????? GET BACK IN MY BELLY AND DON'T COME OUT TILL YOUR OLDER!!! I told Mikey the other day, load up the car, we're taking him to the safe house in Nebraska like that one mom did! Of course, I'm only kidding.... I'm sure there's a safe house closer than Nebraska. :)

I was so not used to the crying that I thought something was physically wrong with him, so we took him to the emergency room. Turns out, there's something mentally wrong with me. :) I've got first time mom disorder on top of being a hypochondriac. Deadly combination. We've been to the doctor three times and the ER once since he's been born. And thankfully, he's healthy every time!

So to calm the crying (which the ER doctor attributes to gas and colic), we bought something called Gripe Water which is an herbal remedy said to "calm the fussy baby". We also bought the Miracle Blanket which is a swaddling blanket guaranteed to work. We used it for the first time tonight and baby Grady is sound asleep in his crib before 9 pm. Now let's just hope he's not up wide eyed at 4 am like he was last night!!!!

One thing he absolutely LOVES is bath time. He must get that from me. :) That calms him right down and he just lays there and looks around. He sticks his tongue out and tries to drink the water. I think he could stay there all night long and enjoy every second of it. We got a really neat tub that tells us the temperature of the water and it also allows the water to run through constantly so it stays clean. Good thing, because Grady likes to pee in the water so I'm glad it flows right out!



He's a growing boy. He weighs 8 pounds 14 ounces now. That's 2 pounds since his lowest weight. He still got little chicken legs, but his belly is nice and round. He's like an olive on toothpicks.

Despite the crying, the lack of sleep, and the fact that our house is dirty and the laundry is piled up, we LOVE that baby boy. I look at him everyday and can't believe that God has truly blessed Mikey and I with a precious son that means the world to us. He's changed our lives and made our relationship stronger than we could ever imagine. I'll remind myself of that later when Grady is screaming in my ear and swatting at my face!

Uh-oh... there's the sleeping beauty now. So much for the Miracle Blanket. SIGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH......


5 comments:

Christy said...

Mary, he's so cute. I'm so glad you LOVE the baby boy! What a little blessing he is!

nancygrayce said...

so do you like the miracle blanket? maybe you should email mckmama and ask her how she uses it. he'll get better....he really will!

JC said...

I am telling you- once he sees me again it will go away. He misses his Aunt Jenine. Kidding of course :) I am sure you are hearing it form everyone- but it WILL get better, it has to. Maybe you guys can sneak off and have a date night when in Tampa and Uncle Phil and I can sway, sway, swoosh, swoosh him all night to give you a break! Miss you! XOXOX

Jason and Roxy said...

Awe, the picture of him in the bathtub is ADORABLE!!!

Cathy said...

Bless his little heart and yours.........Amy had a baby with th e colic and it does pass.......He is so adorable!! Ya'll need to come see us. Dick has surgery on the 28th so we will be holed up here for several weeks!! I think I would rather have a screaming baby!