Friday, July 24, 2009

A Day at the Beach...

Let me just start by saying, I'm looking at the explanation below the title of our blog... "A Glimpse Into Our Grady-Obsessed Lives". I think I should re-word that. I think it should read "A Glimpse Into Our Grady-Rules-Our-Lives Because He is a Wild Man". We are not so much obsessed with him as we are overtaken by him. I am finally sitting down after a non-stop action packed day with a little one who is totally off the chain. I feel like I need an all night foot massage with a never ending margarita. Extra tequila.

We did, however, have a great time at the beach today. We went with my friend from work, Carol, and her daughter (also my friend), Tenisha, and her little baby, Chloe. Chloe is just five weeks younger than Grady and just beautiful. You may remember her from several months ago when Grady and her first met....

Anyway, the beach was packed out, and we looked like the cast of "Yes, Dear" walking out to the sand. (If you've never seen the intro to that show, it begins with a sexy couple cruising by in their convertible and then shows a group of four adults with three kids and a PILE of beach toys, floats, coolers, towels, strollers, etc, struggling to get to their spot on the beach). That was so us. I told Tenisha someone should invent a shuttle service like a golf cart that takes you to your destination on the sand. I would definitely pay for that! And, I mean, I only have one kid, who barely has any beach toys, so what the heck am I taking to the beach??? Who knows, but that reminds me it is all still in my car waiting to be emptied and shaken because we brought home half the beach sand with us.

So anyway, Grady absolutely loves the beach, 1- because it's outdoors, and 2- because there is water involved. And mommy loves the beach because Grady can scream as loud as he wants and no one cares because they can't hear him over their own crazy kids. That's his new thing. Screaming. Not crying screaming, more like squealing screaming because he's so excited about EVERYTHING (except of course naps). It's hysterical and exhausting (and constant) all at the same time. Hence why he is referred to as off the chain. Of course, like I said, it's ok because we were at the beach and not at Publix like we were yesterday.

So maybe it's just boys that are out of control, because Chloe was just as content as she could be... fell asleep on the blanket, played with the same stuffed animal the WHOLE time. My child? Oh no. My child has to have a million (to be exact) different types of toys displayed around him for his viewing pleasure so that he can throw one down at any given moment and reach for another. He also needs a sippy cup, crackers, and baby Mum Mums (his new edible treat). Oh, and of course he needs several other items that are not baby friendly to destroy (i.e. Mommy's cell phone and sunglasses). He wants to crawl, roll, and bounce up and down. And then when he's tired of all that (hard to imagine with all the choices he is given), he wants back in the water. Then back on the sand. Then back in the water. Then back on the sand. Then back in the water. And why haven't I lost the baby weight???

We pack up and somehow it seems that we have acquired even more items since arrival and I look like, again, like the cast of "Yes, Dear" except this time I am sunburned and the baby is half way down my leg as I am dragging all of our crap out of the 100 degree weather into the 150 degree car. And all the way home I get to listen to the joyful squealing.

Then as soon as we get home, it's dinner time, bath, bed. And here I am. Sitting and relaxing and praying he sleeps until noon tomorrow. (I'd even take 7 am). The joys of motherhood. I'm taking applications for a weekend nanny position. Pretty much just put your name on it and you're hired.

(Pics to come later... the camera is in the car and this mama ain't movin').

8 comments:

Katie and Beau said...

ha ha love it! that's why grady is adored by all. glad y'all had fun and just enjoy it. remember two months ago you couldn't have done it.

The White Family said...

Very true, KT... two months ago I didn't even want to go to Wal Mart with Grady. And even real freaks go to Wal Mart!

nancygrayce said...

i'm glad he likes the beach....i'm waiting for the pictures, so rest up and download the upload! :)

Cathy said...

Awwww....how much fun that sounds like. It's good that he likes it. Some babies can't stand the sand. I remember when Joshua was a baby, he would not move off the blanket because he hated the sand.....he got over all that!! Enjoy every minute....look how quickly Joshua went from that baby to a 15 year old!!!

The Hatcher's said...

I was smiling & giggling the whole time I read that! Grady is a busy body... I wonder where he gets that?! Think about how much fun it is going to be when we get all the cousins together!

Rob and Macey said...

I read Rob your blog last night and he was cracking up. Then I showed him Grady's YouTube video. He couldn't stop laughing. Yep, that's what we did on Friday night, read blogs and watched YouTube videos. We are CRAZY!:)

Samantha said...

Hahahaha!!! I cannot stop picturing the cast of Yes, Dear! That show is sooo funny!! I can just see you now... dragging all the stuff while carrying Grady, squealing all the way down. :) He's a happy kid, nothing wrong with that!

P.S. If I lived closer I'd put in my application! - When you comin' to Lakeland, so we can take Grady to Sea World?!?

JC said...

That was the best post!! HYSTERICAL!! I can picture him sitting there and being all "mikey-esque" SO DANG CUTE!!!! Next time I am there- let's go to the beach. I PROMISE I will do all the toting of the stuff (and the muffin)!