Saturday, February 27, 2010

This morning, Elaine came over to watch Grady while I went with Mikey to help with a cabinet job.  You read that right... I was Mikey's help.  And I'm even the one who suggested it.  It was a small job, but he was going to need a little bit of help handling the cabinet and he had planned to pay one of the people he sometimes asks to help him.  So instead of paying someone, I said, "Why don't I just help you?"  (Then, thinking to myself, I BETTER not break a nail... or a sweat- that's strictly for times when you MEAN to sweat).  But despite my valid concerns, off we went around 8:30 to an 82 year old man's house to take down one cabinet and put up another.  (Seriously, when you're 82, why do you really care about your cabinets?)  But he was super nice and friendly and probably a little confused as to why I was there, seeing as how I mostly stood there and talked with him while Mikey did all the work. When we Mikey went to put the new cabinet up, he noticed a crack in it.  The man then told us that the delivery people did in fact drop the cabinet when they brought it in.  So, we had to call and order him a new cabinet and we couldn't even finish the job.  Bummer.  My first cabinet job was a bust.  So now the man has a big empty spot in his laundry room that will remain until the new cabinet arrives.  At which time I get to go with Mikey again to "help". 

This afternoon, we went and picked up some outdoor toys for Grady.  It's still pretty cold (even though it's almost MARCH!!!!  I thought we lived in Florida!), but Grady loves to go outside and it's kind of hard to keep him inside all the time.  Plus, in my new discipline book, it says that kids need three things daily- outdoor play, reading, and.... can't remember the third one.  But at least I have those two down.  In order to make sure that Grady is well-behaved, I'm following the rules.  So rain or shine, we're going out.  And we'll take a book or five with us.  One of Mikey's co-workers, Jessica, has been so generous with things her boys have outgrown.  She's practically stocked his closet from now until 24 months and today she gave us an outdoor slide, a toy lawn mower, and a basketball goal.  Some of the things she had to sneak out of the house when her boys weren't looking!  But, Grady is LOVING the new toys!  Thank you Jessica!!!!










Even Ellie wanted to ride!


6 comments:

Rob and Macey said...

Hmm...how good is this discipline book? You can't remember what the third thing is? Now I'm curious! Grady is super cute with his new toys.

nancygrayce said...

Grady looks so happy to be outdoors! I do think he may like daddy's toy best though!

The Hatcher's said...

So funny! I read that aloud to Brian while he fed Addison. Before we got to the second sentence we both looked at each other and said, "What?! Mary helped with the cabinets!"

Grady looks like he's having a lot of fun as usual.

Katie and Beau said...

I love those outdoor toys! That is nice that you have someone to hand them down because they are so expensive.

I bet Mikey was glad to have your help, especially if he would have had to pay someone twice! Sounds to me like he should pay you with dinner or a move!

aydenandru said...

uhm, so why didn't the old guy say something when the delivery ppl dropped it off and tell them to bring back a new one.. or, why didn't he tell ya'll first before you started the demo?
you probably made him happy today if he doesn't have any company (the old guy, not mikey haha) that was very nice of you to do something like that for your man. alone time, no matter what you two do, is a needed break every once in a while. kudos!

Cathy said...

That Grady is just too cute!!!