Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Health Update

I just wanted to give everybody a short update while I have a few minutes. Grady has been sick lately, so I took him to the doctor on Friday. After a chest x ray it was determined that he had pneumonia, so he was given an antibiotic and a breathing treatment and was due back for a recheck on Monday. Well, on Monday, there was not much of a change so we did another chest x ray, changed his antibiotic and gave him cough medicine. After the 2nd chest x ray, it showed no more pneumonia so we were confused as to why he is coughing so much. (Our regular doctor has not been there, so we were seeing another doctor.) However this morning, our main doctor was back, so we went back to see her. To make a long story short, our doctor told us the films were misread and he never had pneumonia, but he does have Restrictive Airway Disease, which is a precurser to asthma. It is completely treatable and thankfully does not mean he WILL have asthma later in life if we can treat it now. We were now given a steroid to keep the swelling in his lungs down and we are continuing with the antibiotic and breathing treatment every six hours. Our main goal is to keep his oxygen level up which has been lower than we would like. The doctor says as long as she sees him everyday for the rest of the week, she thinks she can keep him out of the hospital. So, we have another appointment tomorrow morning and we are hoping his oxygen levels will have risen since putting him on the steroid and giving his breathing treatment more frequently.

Needless to say, poor Grady has been through the ringer and has not been sleeping much at all. Putting him down in his crib for a nap is out of the question, so he's been taking "shoulder naps" a few times a day....



Yesterday I felt like I sat in the rocking chair ALL DAY. The past two nights he's been up 7-8 times... last night was the worst because he would only sleep about 20 minutes at a time. However, we both just took a long nap together in my bed and he is happily playing next to me.

So, I don't have lots of pictures today, nor do I have the time to post them, but here is one that I just took... he's getting A LOT of hair!



I will post later about the nice weekend we had with Mikey's Aunt Lorraine and Aunt Janice (from NJ and NY). They came for a visit!

5 comments:

Rob and Macey said...

I'm sorry to hear Grady has been sick! Hopefully, he will start feeling better soon. He's getting so big! He's starting to look more like a little boy than a baby!:)

Samantha said...

Poor little guy! I hope that all the treatments help and he is back to normal soon! It's a good thing you're out of school and he can get in lots of mommy love while he's not feeling well. I'm loving the hair - such a manly man! :)

JC said...

My poor baby boy!!! I cant believe how big he is getting!! I cant wait to see him and give him smooches!!!

Jason and Roxy said...

Awe, I didn't know he was sick! Stupid Dr. leading you in the wrong direction!!! Glad your regular one is back and things have been properly diagnosed. He'll be in our prayers and I'm sure he'll be fine... he's got a darn good Momma looking out for him!!! And Daddy and Aunt KT as well!!!

The Hatcher's said...

I'm sorry he is so sick. Brian and I will be praying for him.