Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Last Day of School



Today was the last day of school for the children and Friday is my official last day for the summer.  This year was a great year with a really well behaved and sweet class.  They were all so sweet to each other (most of the time!) and were very considerate of each other, which is sometimes rare at their age!  I will miss them, but at the same time, I was ready for them to go!  Here is a picture of me with my class at our end of the year party-



On the last day of school, which is always a half day, teachers do something called "Celebration".  It is a Pea Ridge tradition and we work hard on it.  All the students come in the cafeteria and watch their teachers perform dances, skits, songs, etc.  We all get dressed up and come out all together singing "Celebrate Good Times" and the kids go NUTS. They absolutely love it. I always think how much I would have looked forward to that if my elementary school had something like that when I was a kid. But it's intimidating getting up on the stage, even in front of little kids!  It's also stressful this time of year and adding dance practice to your afternoon schedule everyday is sometimes a hassle, but when it's all said and done, we are always glad to have done it and we always have fun.  New teachers are always amazed by this production!

This year, my grade level did a dance to Lady Gaga's song Telephone. (I never thought I would know every word to that song, but I have been reciting it for days... "stop calling, stop calling, I don't wanna talk anymore"... ugh!!!!)  We started out by performing a ballet (b/c third graders take a field trip to the ballet every year) and then said, "We're no good at this ballet stuff, let's try something we're good at"... and then we ripped our hair down from the bun and broke it down.  (As best we could for teachers and not professional dancers!).  Here is a picture of my grade level before the performance-



I came home after work and took a nap because I was so worn out!  Tomorrow and Friday are post-planning days, and then it's me and Grady for the summer!

It's been the same old, same old at our house... Grady is still a handful, but we are enjoying him everyday (minus the meltdowns).  He has learned to count, do ring around the rosie, and Mama's proudest accomplishment- burp on command!  I can't figure out how to post a video, so if someone can teach me, I'll video him and post it.  Here are some random pictures from the past several days...

Eating grapes on the side of the tub while I am trying to relax!!!  (I realize this is a little strange.)

Eating popcorn with Daddy...

And watching out for Grandma to arrive...

5 comments:

nancygrayce said...

You look so beautiful! I know you're glad school out for summer. Grady is as precious as always!

Katie and Beau said...

Wow, I can really tell you're losing weight!

I didn't hear ANYTHING about celebration this year...I guess that shows how much we talk now a days.

Can't wait for Grady to teach AC how to burp on command!

The Hatcher's said...

You are looking good MG! I know you are super excited to be off for summer. Enjoy your time off.

Cathy said...

Mary Grace, you are beautiful as always. I think any child who has you as a teacher is very lucky!!

Samantha said...

You are so pretty! You don't post enough pictures with you in them! I can't wait to hear Grady count and burp! What a boy!

HAPPY SUMMER!!!! Can't wait to see you guys!