Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bargain Hunters

Yesterday, I introduced Mikey to the garage sale world.  My dad and Charlotte's old neighborhood was having their annual garage sale, so I really wanted to get over there and see if we could find any steals.  It is a very kid/family friendly neighborhood and I was hoping to find things for Grady.  I gave Mikey the run down when we pulled in the neighborhood about how we don't stop at every sale, always drive by slow and I'll scope out the goods, make people lower offers, etc.  He was a fast learner.  We ended up with only two things, but they are perfect and just what I was looking for.  Here's the first item we found at our very first stop....




When I walked up, I saw my room mom from last year and she's a pro at this garage sale business, so she took over for me and negotiated the price with the owners... would you believe we only paid $15 for this???? It must have 30 tools, some of them are electronic, and it's perfect for Grady because he loves playing with Mikey's tools. It retails for over $50 and also there are many tools that aren't part of the original set, so we got a lot more than we would have gotten at the store! We were very excited.

This is our next find, which Grady is a little too small for right now, but he still likes it...



This brand retails for $110... A HUNDRED AND TEN DOLLARS!!!  We paid $10!!!!!!  Isn't that crazy?  It's in great shape, it looks like it has never been used.  I can't believe it!  (I really did push him around on this with the handle, but I had on my spandex workout capris since we were just around the house, and I think I should spare you the wretched sight of that... on a brighter note, I am excited to report that I have lost 41 pounds now and Mikey has lost close to 30!)

I know I am probably overly excited about these toys, but toys are very expensive these days and I just can't bring myself to pay $100 for one toy.  This may just become our new Saturday morning routine!!!

Here are some more random pics of Grady from the past few days...

You can't really tell, but he is wearing my apron in this pic... he loves to copy whatever he sees!

Singing along with his dinosaur that sings/dances (LOVES to sing)



Loves his clubs... and holding them upside down...


Using something else the wrong way!!!  He really does use this as a step stool, but I guess he wanted to try it out as a seat... a few minutes later he was pitching a fit because he was stuck.


Relaxing in his adirondack chair....


We're having lots of fun with him at this age... he's 16 months and is full of energy.  We have to be very careful about what we do/say because he copies EVERYTHING!!!!  Sometimes Mikey and I laugh, and other times we look at each other like, "Oh crap".  Even then it's hard not to laugh! 

9 comments:

Samantha said...

I love the tool set! How cool! You got some REALLY good deals! That is awesome!!!

He is getting so big! I miss you guys!!!

nancygrayce said...

WOW! That little shop is looks like so much fun for a little boy! You got two good deals! Grady is just too cute!

Good job on the weight loss to you both!

Samantha said...

P.S.
Way to go on the 41 pounds!! You are disciplined!! Good Job!!!

Cathy said...

You all did great at the garage sales....I went all the time when my kids were young.....that's the only way they had furniture in their bedrooms!!

Great job on the weight loss to both of you!!!

Katie and Beau said...

Whoop whoop for the weight loss!

Love those toys. Garage sales are the BEST places to find outdoor toys. Also craigs list.

Lovin' Grady's tank top. He's a true Floridian in that bad boy.

He is such a cutie! "Show me your teeth!"

The Hatcher's said...

Grady is turning to such a little boy, not a baby anymore! Wish we could see him! Good finds for the toys too.

Congratulations on 41 & 30 pounds! That takes such a commitment and you are doing great!

Rob and Macey said...

MG, 41 pounds! That's so great!!! And what good deals you got! That is so awesome!!!

katieaddis said...

Congrats MG! You are a rock star!

Misty said...

He is sooo cute! Great way to shop.